St Oswald's Church. The Parish of Methley and Mickletown.

 

The Parish Church of Methley and Mickletown is dedicated to Saint Oswald.
This view of the Church, taken in about 1844, is the earliest photograph we have. It is taken from the South East and shows the spire that was erected at the end of the eighteenth century. It was soon in need of attention as lightening damaged it. There was an advert for its repair in the Leeds Intelligence in 1784. The spire was completely rebuilt in 1900 and 1901 when there were extensive renovations carried out on the entire Church. The spire was finally removed in 1937 and for several years stone from the demolished spire was stacked in the churchyard at the rear of the Old Post office and the side gable of Churchside House.

The three light window of the Sanctuary can be seen at the east end of the church and south of that the Waterton Chapel. There was, at this time, no stained glass windows in the South window immediately before the Waterton Chapel - they were plain rectangular clerestory windows without tracery. Above the South door is the effigy of St. Oswald. This was taken into the Church during the 1900/01 renovations for preservation.
The churchyard was smaller than today and a wall enclosed tombstones near the main path. Cattle can be seen grazing in the foreground on land that now forms part of the churchyard.

 

St Oswald's Church Methley. South View with clock.

Etching of St. Oswald’s Church from circa 1870. This is very similar to the previous photograph but now shows a clock in the tower. The clock shown on the 1869-1874 photograph, a ‘one eight days clock’, is stated to be in the tower in 1895.

 

 

South Side of St. Oswald's Church, early 1900s.

The churchyard is extended in the foreground. The spire is again in evidence. The effigy of St Oswald has now been removed from above the south entrance porch; all the windows contain stained glass which were installed in the mid-19th century. The Clerestory windows now have tracery stonework.

For more details refer to "Methley and Mickletown Churches" p.20, by George Kirk, printed by the Thoresby Society 1955.

 

Home | Methley Tour Directory | Previous | Next

Home page - Back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 Copyright    Methley Archive  -  1st November 2011  - 

Questions for Methley Historians - coordinator@methleyarchive.org