Lemonroyd Locks

Lock keepers house and Lemonroyd cottages.

The old Lock keeper's House, Lemonroyd Locks, and manually operated lock gates, c.1910
Situated on the Aire and Calder Navigation Canal. The access from Methley was by a footpath on the east side of the level crossing at the former Methley station, ie. on the Mickletown side of the level crossing. The footpath led to the towpath and then you crossed over the lock gates to the lock keeper's house. The old house is a typical building of its time.


Lemonroyd Locks - 1980s, looking west from the towpath. Shows modern, mechanically operated lock gates and the lock keepers' houses on the opposite bank of the canal. The house in the background in the 1910 photo above replaced the old house.

Lemonroyd Locks, March 1990, again looking west. In the background are the large petrol tanks at Fleet Mills. The mill was demolished. There was a flour mill there together with a small complex of houses.

Lemonroyd Locks, March 1990, looking west. A barge is leaving the lock. Houses, petrol containers and lock gates can be seen in the in the distance. In the foreground the waste water may have been a 'basin' for boats. On the right can be seen the breach in the River Aire, a part of the expanse of water created when St. Aidan's Opencast site was flooded on 19th March, 1988.

 

Home | Methley Tour Directory | Previous | Next

Home page - Back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 Copyright    Methley Archive  -  1st November 2011  - 

Questions for Methley Historians - coordinator@methleyarchive.org