Stocks Hill and Main
Pen and ink drawing by a Methley boy, Kenneth
Wright, from the upper storey of the Miners' Welfare, looking across to
Stocks Hill. Mr. Wright's parents were caretakers of the Welfare for many
Stocks Hill may have been the site for the village stocks, but more likely
to have been named because it was owned by the Stocks family. (Michael
Stocks built Dunford house c 1750). Stocks Hill is mentioned in a 1593
On the right is the sloping roof of the village barber's shop - Mr. Tommy
Lunn was the barber for many years. Behind the barber's shop and facing onto
the road were two cottages (not shown here). The doorway is that of Mr
Manners' grocer's shop and the side window of the shop. This shop is said to
have been Mickletown Post Office and many older people still refer to the
yard as Post Office Yard. Mr. Manners' shop was only small but was well
stocked. He also sold pork products, pies, sausages etc, which Mrs. Manners
fetched almost daily from Leeds, from Bramham's pork butcher. Attached to
the shop, at right angles to the road, was a short row of cottages, faced
onto the yard. Door of first house of row is just visible. At the rear of
Stocks Hill was a row of 3 larger houses, still standing.
On the left is a front view of the Malt Shovel Inn. It was built mid to late
19th century and is mentioned in the 1890-91 records. Beyond are older
properties, now demolished.
Stocks Hill, Main
Street, 1982/83, looking up Main Street.
On the right in the foreground is the shop
(newsagents at this time) with flat above just visible. At the back are the
three larger original houses. There is no trace of Manner's shop or the row
of cottages. The large private bungalow was formerly Methley Working Men's
Club, opened Saturday, September 9th 1911 by Dr. Robin Taylor. It closed as
a club in 1948. Later, part of the building became offices for P.J. Parrott,
a village building firm, and the other part became a house. In front of the
bungalow used to be two low cottages and a shop of Mr. Fred Hill.
There is no sign here of the blacksmith's. 68 and 70 Main Street are
original houses, renovated. Bushes are on the site of the Lord Nelson Inn
and Nelson Yard, and the gable of the Bay Horse can be seen on the left.
Since this photo was taken a bungalow has been built next to the newsagents
ie. in front of the three houses