Aerial View of Mickletown
Aerial View of Mickletown, 1983, taken by the West Yorkshire Archaeological
Service. It gives a compact view of Mickletown from Pinfold Lane to the
Miners' Welfare. The curve of Main Street and the 'grid' lay-out of new
development is evident.
In the foreground is the North side of Main Street, Pit Lane and North side
of Lower Mickletown. There is the straight line of Savile Road. Savile Road
was constructed in 1926-28 on the line of a former field path. It relieved
the congestion of Main Street. The houses between Main Street and Savile
Road were built 1924-27, mainly council built. On the south side of Main
Street on 'the Okes' lay the forteenth century Manor of Mickletown, sited
approximately between Main Street, Pinfold Lane and the Miners' Welfare. The
Manor was held by the Hospital of St. Nicholas, Pontefract, though the Lord
of the Manor did not reside here permanently. It had a manor house and
out-buildings, farm, orchards and even a vineyard.
Beyond Savile Road are the school and public playing fields, Oaklands and
Oaksfield houses. On the right is Summerhill Road, built 1931. On the left
is Taylor Grove, built 1925-26, opposite to the school, the Working Men's
Club and part of Pinfold Lane.
On the left beyond Pinfold Lane is Lower Mickletown - on North side is
Laurel Farm, South View, and Waides Buildings. On the South side are the
Shand Offices and workyard and then bungalows and White House Farm.