St. Margaret's Church, Mickletown

Interior of St Margaret's Church, 1982

We are looking east towards the altar. Shows the five-sided wooden pulpit and modern electric organ. The chancel screen was made by a local man, Mr. Wilfred Travis, who was a joiner at the local firm of P.J.Parrott. Within the chancel are choir stalls and two prayer desks. The altar is furnished with a jewelled brass cross having IHS at the foot, flower vases and a pair of candlesticks inscribed in memory of Sarah Elizabeth Robinson, who died 1908. Dorsal is suspended between two octagonal posts carved by Thompson, the mouse man of Kilburn.

St Margaret's Church Altar, close-up. Extended and vested

St Margaret's Church - demolished

After the closure of the church the whole site was sold of approx. 2,420 sq yds. The church was demolished quite quickly during the summer of 1982.
This view shows the remaining foundations of the church building, St. Margaret's Church Hall beyond and, in the background, the houses of St. Margaret's Avenue. All the site was cleared, including the stone foundations meant for original stone church.

 

Home | Methley Tour Directory | Previous | Next

Home page - Back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 Copyright    Methley Archive  -  1st November 2011  - 

Questions for Methley Historians - coordinator@methleyarchive.org