Wetlands, Greenfield Terrace, Applyard Row

Wetlands, Lower Mickletown

Wetlands, Lower Mickletown, 1985.
Taken from just opposite the dormer-windowed houses, just below Greenfield Terrace. We are ooking east over the Whinney to Mary Pannal Hill and Ledston. Ledston Hall is just visible.

Lower Mickletown Road from Greenfield Terrace

Lower Mickletown Road from Greenfield Terrace, looking down to Mexborough Terrace.
On the site of these 8 new houses was a terrace of old properties, known as Doctor Row; the far end house was at one time a shop. Behind the front row were more small cottages, all now demolished. The council-built houses of Mexborough Terrace are beyond; these were erected in 1925-26

 

Appleyard Row, Lower Mickletown.

This row of cottages stood just below Mexborough Terrace at right angles to the main road. The gentleman in the picture is the late Mr. Harry Harrison, Estate Agent of Castleford who was head of the business.
Appleyard Row was built and owned by the Appleyard family. Appleyard Cottages are mentioned in the Land Tax Records of 1865-66. In 1850 Appleyard Houses and the Appleyard family in 1796.

  <  Appleyard House - Butchers >

     Appleyard House recent >      

 

Home | Methley Tour Directory | Previous | Next

Home page - Back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 Copyright    Methley Archive  -  1st November 2011  - 

Questions for Methley Historians - coordinator@methleyarchive.org