Pindergreen

Pinder Green Farm, 1982.

A farm is shown on this site on 1786 map. This is a front view of the farm house, facing south. The property is completely modernised and bears little or no resemblance to the original building. This side faced onto a yard with duck pond and farm sheds and over some fields. Chadwicks occupied the farm for many years and later Mr. Cliff Huddlestone.

Pinder Green Farm, 1982. Front and west side.

The farm was sold by Mexborough Estates to Fairclough Homes, plus the surrounding land, in 1991 and the farmhouse was subsequently demolished. Then followed the uilding of new houses on the site. The first phase - 25 homes - began in January 1992 by Fairclough Homes. The development was called Pinders Green and it was planned to build more than 100 in the years 1992-1995, detached, semi-detached and mews properties.

Aerial View, Pindergreen, 1960s.

In the foreground is Pinder Green Farm, the drive up to the farm house, the front of the house (facing south) and the farmsheds to the west side.
A little further to the rear of this are the greenhouses and garden nursery of Mr. Henry Chadwick, who worked on this land for many years.
At the rear are the privately built houses at the front of the Embleton Estate - they face onto Watergate and were built by Cyril Surby. Just visible are some of the council house gardens of the Embleton Estate, built 1958-59. On the opposite side of the road is the terrace of older properties - Pindergreen Row - owned by Mexborough Estates and occupied for many years by estate workers and their families. Buildings at Pinder Green are shown on the 1786 map.
The detached house, standing obliquely, was also a Mexborough property and was occupied for many years by the Estate rent collector, Mr. Percy Baldwin.

 

Home | Methley Tour Directory | Previous | Next

Home page - Back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 Copyright    Methley Archive  -  1st November 2011  - 

Questions for Methley Historians - coordinator@methleyarchive.org