Hazel House, Watergate

Hazel House, c.1910. Front of house, facing west.

Climber-covered walls, flagstone roof and mullioned windows denote an old property. It was occupied at this time by the Philips family. There has been a house on this site for more than 500 years. In 1476 in the will of Robert Waterton, the property was left to Sir Robert Dymoke and his wife Margaret. Robert was the son of Lionel Lord Welles. This was verified in the 1488 act of partition. Hence the house became the property of Sir Robert Waterton's grandson, Sir Robert Dymoke.

There are various early spellings of the name eg. Hessle, Hessill, Hasil, Hesil and Hasill.
In the late 16th century the house was occupied by the Flower family. In the records of 1592-3 the summary of deeds and lists of property to be rated, states: "Jo: Flower for the hessill house" - chief freeholder. In 1593 - John Flower of Hessle place had a seat in church. In 1608 - "John Flower on the marriage of his son, John, with Jane, daughter of Richard Shann, Gent, conveys Hessill House to trustees for their benefit."
1609 - Hessill House conveyed to Sir Henry Savile.
1771 - Hasle Hall - Freehold Estate.

Hazel House, 1925.

In the early 1920s Hazel house was extensively altered when it was occupied by Major Currer Briggs, the local colliery owning family, and his family. The Briggs family lived at Hazel House in the 1920s. The creeper was pulled off the walls which were faced with rough-cast, new windows were installed and a new slate roof fitted. The house lost its ' period' look.

 

Hazel House, 1982-83.

Now there is no evidence of the old structure or the old garden.


 

 

Home | Methley Tour Directory | Previous | Next

Home page - Back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 Copyright    Methley Archive  -  1st November 2011  - 

Questions for Methley Historians - coordinator@methleyarchive.org