Leeds Intelligencer - Saturday 21 October 1854 - Allotment Tenants Dinner
THE WIVES HAVE NOT BEEN FORGOTTEN
We recently called attention to a dinner given by the Hon. and Rev. P. Y. Savile, rector of Methley, to his allotment tenants, and we rejoice to add the wives have not been forgotten.
They were treated by their own husbands to a sumptuous tea party, which was enlivened by the Methley brass band; and some very excellent speeches were listened to with great attention.
The Leeds Intelligencer was founded by Griffith Wright in Leeds in 1754 as a four-page weekly and originally known as Wright’s Leeds Intelligencer. By the 1790’s it was viewed as the leading Tory organ in Yorkshire.
It was sold to the newly-formed Yorkshire Conservative Newspaper Company which turned the weekly Leeds Intelligencer into the daily Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, launched on July 2, 1866.
Last issue: 1866