Aerial view of Mickletown, 1983
Aerial View of Mickletown, 1983, taken by the West Yorkshire Archaeological Service. It gives a compact view of Mickletown from Pinfold Lane to the Miners’ Welfare.
The curve of Main Street and the ‘grid’ lay-out of new development is evident.
In the foreground is the North side of Main Street, Pit Lane and North side of Lower Mickletown. There is the straight line of Savile Road. Savile Road was constructed in 1926-28 on the line of a former field path. It relieved the congestion of Main Street.
The houses between Main Street and Savile Road were built 1924-27, mainly council built. On the south side of Main Street on ‘the Okes’ lay the forteenth century Manor of Mickletown, sited approximately between Main Street, Pinfold Lane and the Miners’ Welfare.
The Manor was held by the Hospital of St. Nicholas, Pontefract, though the Lord of the Manor did not reside here permanently. It had a manor house and out-buildings, farm, orchards and even a vineyard. Beyond Savile Road are the school and public playing fields, Oaklands and Oaksfield houses.
On the right is Summerhill Road, built 1931. On the left is Taylor Grove, built 1925-26, opposite to the school, the Working Men’s Club and part of Pinfold Lane. On the left beyond Pinfold Lane is Lower Mickletown – on North side is Laurel Farm, South View, and Waides Buildings. On the South side are the Shand Offices and workyard and then bungalows and White House Farm.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.