Church Lane about 1930
At this time it was often called Long Lane and indeed did seem a very long lane. There were no houses from Mickletown Road to the Railway Bridge. The Lane was tree-lined, with hedges bordering the cornfields and a narrow, flagged footpath on the right (north) side. There was a public seat on the left.
The young boy in the foreground is Master Raymond Barker, whose family lived in the Wesleyan Chapel Yard, Main Street (5 houses in theyard next to the Wesleyan Chapel, which were demolished early 1960). Raymond in his Sunday outfit is on his way to St Oswald’s Church one Sunday morning, where he was a chorister.
Beyond Raymond are other people, two groups of 2, also, most probably, on their way to the Sunday morning service at St. Oswald’s. They are walking in the road, indicating how little traffic there was at that time. In the background is the LMS Railway Bridge and railway embankments.
The Bridge is sometimes called Uttley Bridge, for the old name for Church Lane was Uttley Lane; some old people still use this name. On old maps the road is named Churchfield Lane or Churchfield Road, the Church (St Oswald’s) owning the Church Fields to the left (south) of the road.
Church Lane 1983
Both detached and semi-detached houses now on each side of the lane. There are less trees along the lane and hedges have disappeared. The bridge is in the background.
House building started in Church Lane from 1934-35. Most were built by 1937. They were built by two local firms, J. Dickinson, whose houses have blue slate roofs and P.J. Parrott, whose houses have red tiled roofs. After the 1939-45 war, vacant spaces were built on.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.