Rear view of the Gazebo, Clumpcliffe Farm, with old stables
Rear view of the Gazebo, Clumpcliffe Farm

Rear view of the Gazebo with old stables

The Gazebo, a rear view also showing the old stables – brick building with hipped stone-flagged roof and dormer window, where the Earl of Mexborough kept his hunting hounds at one time.

Stables: One on tyhe east side of the gazebo and one on the west side of, flanking its forecourt. They form part of the contemporary composition of the gazebo (1708). The side to forecourt (now covered with later roof) has altered openings with stone architraves.

There is a hipped roof with swept eaves over a modillioned cornice, a small dormer in each long side and at the south end. Said to have been built to house hounds.

The barn

Approx. 15 metres NE of the farmhouse, is from the 17th century or earlier, aisled barn. It has a timber frame with walls of hand-made brick in stretcher bond and a stone slate roof. There are five bays on the north-south axis.

The west side covered by modern cattle sheds; east side has square-headed wagon doorway to centre bay (doors altered) and triangular breathers on 3 levels; the north gable has very large inserted wagon doorway with steel lintel; triangular breathers above.

the barn,clumpcliffe farm.
Clumpcliffe Farm House, west gable
Clumpcliffe Farm House, west gable.

Clumpcliffe Farm House, west gable

All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.