Lock keepers house and Lemonroyd cottages
The old Lock keeper’s House, Lemonroyd Locks, and manually operated lock gates, c.1910 Situated on the Aire and Calder Navigation Canal.
The access from Methley was by a footpath on the east side of the level crossing at the former Methley station, ie. on the Mickletown side of the level crossing. The footpath led to the towpath and then you crossed over the lock gates to the lock keeper’s house. The old house is a typical building of its time.
Lemonroyd Locks, March 1990, looking west
A barge is leaving the lock. Houses, petrol containers and lock gates can be seen in the in the distance. In the foreground the waste water may have been a ‘basin’ for boats.
On the right can be seen the breach in the River Aire, a part of the expanse of water created when St. Aidan’s Opencast site was flooded on 19th March, 1988.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.