Main Street 1991
The photograph is from a similar position position to the previous one.
On the right, houses now stand on the former waste ground. These semi-detached houses were built in 1924 for the workpeople of Briggs, coal owners. They were later sold and are now privately owned.The detached private house was also built about this time.
Tall bushes hide the entrance to St. Margaret’s Avenue.
On left are the renovated older properties 20 and 22 Main Street, and the entrance to the car repair workshop. Older cottages were demolished in the 1960s.
Standing alone is the gabled property, formerly Miss Radcliffe’s, at the top of Holmes’ Yard. Because of new health regulations and new innovations in baking, Miss Radcliffe ceased baking in the 1960s and carried on as a shop, buying in baked goods. On the retirement of the Misses S & E, the business became that of the niece, Miss Edna.
The red-roofed renovated cottage at the opposite side of Holmes’ Yard and incorporating former shops, is now all one private dwelling. The plaster-rendered higher property, formerly the CWS grocery store, and the Post Office are now converted into 3 private houses. After the Post Office transferred lower down Main Street to its present position, the former Post Office became the Co-op Butchers.
Beyond, is Hunt’s Farm, standing back from the road.
The noble looking Methodist Chapel (ex-Wesleyan) is the sole survivor of 5 Methodist chapels which used to be in the Methley. The plaster-rendered gabled property beyond the Chapel is now Mickletown Post Office, (it was formerly Mrs. Crewe’s drapery shop). Just in view is the renovated butchers shop (once owned by by Braimes), which is now a private house.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.