Pit Lane Area about 1960
A pretty rural scene. Pit Lane was a popular walk and play area. This view showsthe left hand side of lane. Cattle from Hunt’s Farm are grazing, swans are on the pond. There is a larger extent of water and no spoilheaps.
In the background is the Caroline Swing Bridge over the canal and the small community there. The Bridge-keeper’s house is on the far bank of the canal. The gable of the Caroline Inn and the coal-loading staithes can be seen. There is an uninterrupted view across to Great Preston. The Swing Bridge closed in 1972.
Pit Lane – Children playing
Pit Lane 1965, on the left. At the top of Pit Lane near the canal. This area was just beginning to subside, providing a water recreation area for village children. You can see swing bridge over the canal and the bridge-keeper’s house on the far bank.
This bridge, built in 1908, replaced an earlier one. To the left of the bridge is the wooden hut where the bridge-keeper sat and collected the 1/2d toll per person. Behind is the gable of the Caroline Inn. Behind the bridge-keeper’s house (not
visible) were three cottages with gardens and orchards. Construction of the canal began by the Aire and Calder Navigation Company in 1826.
Caroline Bridge 1982
TThe bridge is permanently swung back and was closed to pedestrians in 1972 because of open-cast coal mining on the Astley, Bowers Row side of the canal. Canal traffic could thus have free passage along the route.
Note the general dereliction over canal – all properties now demolished. Part of the manually operated 2 chain capstan for moving the bridge can be seen..
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.