Pinfold Lane Surgery, 1988
Purpose built by a consortium of Methley doctors, headed by Dr. R. Dunphy. It was built on the paddock of the former Miss Denison’s house (and St. Margaret’s Vicarage), later owned by the Working Men’s Club.
Contains Reception area, dispensing section, waiting room and consulting rooms, all well appointed. Outside a carpark and landscaped gardens. Methley Pharmacy is adjoining.
Houses of Oaksfields, front view, 1990
Photograph taken from rear of houses of Pinfold Lane, west side. Shows front of Oaksfields houses, south facing. No access to front of houses. All the 28 detached and semi-detached houses of Oaksfields are built on the site of the once large medieval Oaks- or Okes field.
The story is told and verified by many people that some Methley miners who joined their Miners’ (Trade) Union were evicted from their homes in Holmes Yard by their landlord, Lord Mexboro’. They and their families sought refuge in the Sunday School of the United Methodist Chapel, Holmes Yard, where they lived for several months, until the Rector, Rev. P. Yorke Savile, sold them plots of the glebe land of Oaksfield, where they proceeded to build their new homes.
The houses were built in approximately 1895 (indenture in Wakefield Registry of Deeds of that date) on a quarter acre of land. Some family chief signatories – Henry Poulter (checkweighman), Ben Harrison (miner), Arthur Arundel (miner). A road (un-made) separates the rear of the houses and yards from large gardens at the rear. They also have large gardens at the front but no front road for access.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.