Station Road, Woodrow
Station Road, Woodrow, 1980s. Woodrow derives its meaning from ‘the row near the wood’. Woodrow, one of Methley’s many small communities, used to have its own shops and was a mixture of rows and ‘yards’ of small houses.
The road shown here was named Station Road as it led to the station, one of Methley’s three stations. Woodrow L.M.S. Sation was Methley North. On the right of this photo is the rear of Plumpton House, with, beyond, a small road leading to the Royal Oak and the main Leeds-Pontefract Road. There is a row of old houses, now modernised and other old properties, with the white gates of the railway level crossing in the distance.
On the left are the Council built old people’s bungalows, eight of them built 1957. Beyond are railway cottages, a row of houses built for railway workers and their families.