Stocks Hill and Main Street, 1930’s
Pen and ink drawing by a Methley boy, Kenneth Wright, from the upper storey of the Miners’ Welfare, looking across to Stocks Hill. Mr. Wright’s parents were caretakers of the Welfare for many years.
Stocks Hill may have been the site for the village stocks, but more likely to have been named because it was owned by the Stocks family. (Michael Stocks built Dunford house c 1750). Stocks Hill is mentioned in a 1593 record.
On the right is the sloping roof of the village barber’s shop – Mr. Tommy Lunn was the barber for many years. Behind the barber’s shop and facing onto the road were two cottages (not shown here). The doorway is that of Mr Manners’ grocer’s shop and the side window of the shop. This shop is said to have been Mickletown Post Office and many older people still refer to the yard as Post Office Yard.
Mr. Manners’ shop was only small but was well stocked. He also sold pork products, pies, sausages etc, which Mrs. Manners fetched almost daily from Leeds, from Bramham’s pork butcher. Attached to the shop, at right angles to the road, was a short row of cottages, faced onto the yard. Door of first house of row is just visible. At the rear of Stocks Hill was a row of 3 larger houses, still standing.
On the left is a front view of the Malt Shovel Inn. It was built mid to late 19th century and is mentioned in the 1890-91 records. Beyond are older properties, now demolished.
Stocks Hill 1982-83, looking up Main Street
On the right in the foreground is the shop (newsagents at this time) with flat above just visible. At the back are the three larger original houses. There is no trace of Manner’s shop or the row of cottages.
The large private bungalow was formerly Methley Working Men’s Club, opened Saturday, September 9th 1911 by Dr. Robin Taylor. It closed as a club in 1948. Later, part of the building became offices for P.J. Parrott, a village building firm, and the other part became a house. In front of the bungalow used to be two low cottages and a shop of Mr. Fred Hill.
There is no sign here of the blacksmith’s. 68 and 70 Main Street are original houses, renovated. Bushes are on the site of the Lord Nelson Inn and Nelson Yard, and the gable of the Bay Horse can be seen on the left.
Since this photo was taken a bungalow has been built next to the newsagents ie. in front of the three houses
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.