Penn Bank Waterfalls c.1902
Approached by track and footpath across fields and the disused railway track. The entrance to the track was on the west side of Watergate at Ings Lane.
Our photo shows the weir spanning the River Calder from Thorpe (a forgotten name for an area of Methley) to Altofts, looking upstream. On the left hand – Altofts – bank of the river the old lock can be seen, which allowed boat passage on the river. There is a figure, possibly a lady, standing on top of the lock wall.
Looking upstream the ferry boat can be seen carrying passengers over the river on this once well-used ferry between Methley and Altofts. As road transport improved the ferry became little used and was finally closed
Penn Bank Waterfalls on River Calder
Looking across the weir, which spanned the Calder to the Altofts bank. On the Altofts bank stood the Lord Nelson Inn and a farm. The inn later closed.
A walk to Penn Banks used to be a very popular walk for villagers; there they would picnic, and bathe in the clean river. On Sunday evenings the Altofts Brass Band and other Brass Bands played in the yard of the Lord Nelson Inn and Methley people who had walked to Penn Banks would sit on the Methley bank and listen to the band.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.