Lower Mickletown Road from Greenfield Terrace
Lower Mickletown Road from Greenfield Terrace, looking down to Mexborough Terrace. On the site of these 8 new houses was a terrace of old properties, known as Doctor Row; the far end house was at one time a shop.
Behind the front row were more small cottages, all now demolished. The council-built houses of Mexborough Terrace are beyond; these were erected in 1925-26.
Appleyard Row, Lower Mickletown
This row of cottages stood just below Mexborough Terrace at right angles to the main road. The gentleman in the picture is the late Mr. Harry Harrison, Estate Agent of Castleford who was head of the business.
Appleyard Row was built and owned by the Appleyard family. Appleyard Cottages are mentioned in the Land Tax Records of 1865-66. In 1850 Appleyard Houses and the Appleyard family in 1796.
Walker’s Butchers Shop 1930’s
This photograph shows Johnny Walker standing in the doorway of his shop during the 1930’s.
All images are available for purchase. Please quote the image reference number when ordering.