Leeds Mercury - Saturday 02 November 1901 - Reopening of methley church
REOPENING OF METHLEY CHURCH
The interior of the ancient and beautiful church at Methley has been thoroughly renovated at a cost of £3,000, towards which there has been received or promised £1,700.
A new heating apparatus has been fixed, and the incandescent gaslight introduced. There was crowded congregation on Saturday at the reopening of the church by the Bishop of Ripon.
The Leeds Mercury was established by John Hirst in 1718 as a weekly newspaper in the rapidly growing West Yorkshire woollen textile town. The Mercury was one of the foremost provincial newspapers, publishing articles by many distinguished writers and gaining a reputation as a leading reporter of Liberal politics.
Last issue: November 25, 1939