Leeds Mercury - Saturday 24 August 1935 - The queen visits Methley Hall
The party then drove to Methley Hall, the seat of the Earl of Mexborough, which the Queen had never previously visited. She was received by Lady Mexborough, in the absence of Lord Mexborough, who is in Scotland.
Others present were Viscount and Viscountess Pollington, Lady Sarah Savile, the Hon. John and the Hon. Charles Savile (sons of Viscount Pollington), and Miss Peggy Richardson, daughter of Mr. John S. Richardson, agent to Lord Mexborough. The party remained to tea, and the Queen was shown over the Hall, which is famed for its collection of family portraits, dating back several centuries, by Lady Mexborough.
After a stay of over an hour the Royal party returned to Harewood.
The Leeds Mercury was established by John Hirst in 1718 as a weekly newspaper in the rapidly growing West Yorkshire woollen textile town. The Mercury was one of the foremost provincial newspapers, publishing articles by many distinguished writers and gaining a reputation as a leading reporter of Liberal politics.
Last issue: November 25, 1939